Sunday, April 12, 2009

how Fuji's shirt applies to Easter

I'm exhausted. But that will all be over by tomorrow morning. That's right. I'm deciding this night's sleep will be all the recovery I will need to bring it tomorrow for the second round of the semi-finals.

We lost in 5 on Friday in Ankara against Turk Telekom. Whew--what a battle. Each game was only a two or three point difference. What's cool is that we have had two days to review it and make little necessary adjustments. What's no so cool is that in the semis, you must win best of 5 matches not sets in order to advance to the finals. That's a big change from the "one 'n done" of college volleyball, even National team events! I do love a great battle, though, and every single set will be nothing less than that with this opponent!

By the way, I forgot to mention that last week the number one seed Gunes Sigorta (the one we played a billion times before--winning all but one match) was knocked out by the last seed of the playoffs! That round was only best of 3 matches, but Galatasaray found a way to win! Amazing--everyone was shocked! Now this eighth seed is losing soundly to Fenerbahce, who will likely advance to the final round 3-0.

In our gym, things aren't quite as fluffy and sweet. It's good though that amid all the intensity and pressure all around us that we could walk out of a mostly bad practice smiling. Beppe was on edge from the beginning. The veins really began to pop near the middle of practice during a usual 6 on 6 drill. There was some confusion in the backrow, leaving a ball to fall without a body flying after it. Fuji was center back and the ball hit the very tip of one of the corners. Beppe made her chase balls all over, then exploded in broken english, "Why?! Why is dis?" In fear and lack of oxygen, she answered, "Beppe, it's impossible to.."

"Impossible!? Look at your shirt, Fuji! We are Adidas--Nothing is Impossible!!..."

He continued his shouting, oblivious to the smirks and covered mouths scattering all around.
I didn't dare change my serious expression, but it was hilarious. He actually used our sponsor's slogan as a mode of motivation in practice. A first. Practice continued in its usual way, and after we gathered to cool down and stretch it was good to see Beppe smiling as he said softley to Vesna, "Did you like that? Was good, no?"

Okay, gotta move quickly now. My head is throbbing--though, this could be less from the fact that I'm tired, and more from the fact that my face got blasted today by one of the best attackers in the league, Mirka, our Cuban. I blinked black for a few minutes, but no biggie, right?

Anyway, we play Monday night at 5:30pm and again the next day. We plan to win both of these matches, earning us a day off on Wednesday before heading back to Ankara to play match #4 on Friday. If we split the wins, we'll play the deciding match on Saturday. Brutal, right! I'm excited, though--just gotta be smart.

Before I run with my delirium to the Sheraton's plush pillow, allow me to shout out a HAPPY EASTER to all of you friends and family and blog followers out there! There are no polka-dot eggs or chocolates or marshmallow bunnies anywhere--which isn't so bad, to be honest with you (though I wouldn't mind downing a handful of cadbury's perfect pastel choco eggs--Jon, you know!). I do miss the fellowship, though, and the community. People who might stand with me in prayer and happy tears acknowledging the Reason for this celebration.

Today Jesus rose from the dead, and not by way of a cooky magic trick. He rose from the dead, proving Himself to be what He always said He was--God. He rose from the dead like all the prophets from way back when said He would, and He did so to show that death--the kind that comes by our sin and living for things that will never satisy--no longer has a grip on us. His rising means that I am free, that forgiveness is real, and that Life--the kind God, our Creator, meant for us to have--is ours to choose.

So from that humbled and thankful place, I say again HAPPY EASTER. I have so much to learn. I have so much to make ammends for. I have so.... much. What a privelege to be known and loved by the God of all. That today in practice, when things weren't going well, when my face was throbbing and patience waning, I was able--able--to choose Christ. That He was more important than anything else.

This is my blog. And tonight I felt like speaking my heart. I miss my family and I miss my friends. Less than a month now.... less than a month.

Bring on the battles (and ice) in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment