Sunday, March 22, 2009

prepare to win

There are many odd and wonderful things about Turkey. For instance:
- Tomatoes and cucumbers are staple foods, and it is customary for tomatoes to always be peeled before eating.
- Soup is always a first course in a meal, and it is shocking to have a glass of milk at dinner. People gawked at me and seemed to be gagging. ReAlly?!
- At the movies, you buy a ticket that is assigned seating. Butter for your popcorn is nowhere to be found, and you should expect a 10 minute intermission during the film.
- The shirt that I am wearing right now has a horrible blob-like drawing on it with the writing: “Dear Diary: I was hungry but mister pudding got angry.” Every time I look down, I laugh out loud. If you’re not laughing, too, we must not be very good friends. J

Besides this randomness, allow me to elaborate a bit on the happenings of this week. We finished up two key elements to our season. We beat Fenerbahce in 5 sets to take the Turkish Cup on Wednesday. Not only do we get to hold up a big gold cup and sway and clap to the tune “We are the Chaaampions,” but supposedly this means a big bonus pay day. Hmm…we’ll see, I guess.

I ended up not suiting up for the match at all. Now that GoGo, the other middle who was injured, is back, our roster is expanding beyond the allowed 12. Because I was the fourth foreigner, they decided to keep me out and let her suit up instead. There was the initial thought of “Heey…” seeing as how I started and did well in our previous match, but the situation makes sense and, even more important, is completely outside of my control. I was washed with peace from the sidelines, and proceeded to bring it the rest of the week in practice.

Last night with Nancy out to rest her shoulder, I played again with the team as we completed another goal gaining all 12 points to finish out the Turkish League regular season. We knocked off our opponent in three sets, bumping us up to 3rd place in prep for TL playoffs that begin first week in April.

So now, as Beppe would say, we need to put in our pockets the Cup and also the playoffs and focus entirely on the Final Four this coming weekend. We will have two solid days to train here and get better, then we leave for Perugia, Italy Wednesday morning!

I just filled many pages in my journal earlier about this exciting week ahead. I am thankful that I am not a stranger to big matches, though this is a world stage unlike any other that I have experienced. There are many distractions to manage as I embrace the chance to get better this week in practice and take the floor each time confident in my skills and presence and heart.

If you would join me, please, in praying throughout this week for a clear and pure mind—that the coming distractions and pulls for the recognition of people would pass easily out of my mind. That my focus would stay in the present as I feel the pleasure and guidance of the Father and that together we would maximize this incredibly exciting opportunity in front of me. I want to enjoy each moment and the people around me. I want to be used by Him however He would want. And I want to bring Him honor as I compete on Saturday (and hopefully Sunday), unleashing the best of the talents He has given me. That in doing so, my mind would be far from proving myself to others, but instead focused on the moment, the ball, and feeling His pleasure as I soar. Please pray also just for the safety of myself and our team—the travel, our health, etc. Thank you, thank you, thank you….

In other news, I have been so blessed this week by Esra and her mother, who has stayed with us all week. She has lovingly prepared every meal, and as I watched her move about the kitchen dicing and flipping last night, I missed my own momma even more. Esra and I have also continued our laughter-filled ways, having devised a secret that we will unveil only if we win the Turkish League—heh heh. My goofy side is slowly creeping out of hiding and Esra, though a bit shocked I’m sure, is loving it. The other night she, Selime, and I danced in the streets (no joke) on our way to the coffee shop where they convinced me to make prank calls to their friends using my various accents. The poor guys met a British Elizabeth, a Spanish-like Anita, and a southern-belle Jenny. Haha…good times.

As I close out this entry, you should be aware that my computer once again can’t seem to connect to an “Excellent” signal. You can just imagine the twitching fits I incur as a result of this madness (and people think the frizz is caused by humidity…). So I’ve tried to do minimal updates and such through Esra’s Turkish computer. The keyboard is all screwy, though, so communication is difficult. However, I will do my best on this Italy trip to stay in contact.

Our semi-final against Dynamo will be Saturday night and the final will take place on Sunday. I’m sure there is a way to watch it online. If I find out specifics, I will try to give the link here if I can. Anyway, bless you all. I miss you and long for your faces and hugs. Another great adventure awaits—thanks for being a part of it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment